Journal 2
I've been using Microsoft Word as a student longer than I can remember. There were take home and in class assignments that required the use of word in a variety of ways. Some teachers would have us use it in the most conventional way (writing paragraphs/essays), while others would have us use it to make charts, brochures, and documents with images and word art embedded in them. As for my teachers' use of Word, I never saw them using it in an interactive manner in class, but it was obviously utilized to make handouts, tests, quizzes, and homework assignments. Even now as most classes have gone digital and don't necessarily use physical handouts, professors still use word to make assignment instructions that are posted on Canvas.
Copyright and fair use have always been a confusing and complex topic for me. Growing up, my teachers always told us that it's better to be safe than sorry. The concepts were never really explained to me as a student, so I generally cited everything that I got from an outside source unless teachers told us that we didn't have to. As a teacher I would read up on the instances where copyright and fair use apply and make a lesson out of it so students have a clear idea of how to give credit to others and make sure others credit them. I would also make sure that I adhered to copyright guidelines when making lessons in order to model good practice.
There are several issues that come with the use of technology. Three issues that I'm going to discuss are privacy, cyberbullying, and the digital divide. Privacy is a general issue that we as a society all face, but it's important to note that young users of technology are unaware of the pitfalls of that use. In my classroom I would remind them that anyone, regardless of intent, can potentially have access to what they put online, and give suggestions about how to maintain their safety; for example, I would advise them to make their YouTube videos that they make for class projects private, so the only people that can view it are people they know. Another issue with technology is cyberbullying. In my classroom I would emphasize the fact that things said over the internet should be no different than things that they say to each other in real life when adults are listening. I would also discuss the consequences of cyberbullying and how they stick with you forever. Finally, the digital divide is one of the most complex issues with technology. Since not everyone has equal access to technology, I would try to limit homework assignments that require technology and instead focus on using technology in the classroom. For example, using laptops/iPads/etc. in the classroom to complete activities so students that don't have technology at home can have practice with it and won't be put at a disadvantage.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright and fair use have always been a confusing and complex topic for me. Growing up, my teachers always told us that it's better to be safe than sorry. The concepts were never really explained to me as a student, so I generally cited everything that I got from an outside source unless teachers told us that we didn't have to. As a teacher I would read up on the instances where copyright and fair use apply and make a lesson out of it so students have a clear idea of how to give credit to others and make sure others credit them. I would also make sure that I adhered to copyright guidelines when making lessons in order to model good practice.
There are several issues that come with the use of technology. Three issues that I'm going to discuss are privacy, cyberbullying, and the digital divide. Privacy is a general issue that we as a society all face, but it's important to note that young users of technology are unaware of the pitfalls of that use. In my classroom I would remind them that anyone, regardless of intent, can potentially have access to what they put online, and give suggestions about how to maintain their safety; for example, I would advise them to make their YouTube videos that they make for class projects private, so the only people that can view it are people they know. Another issue with technology is cyberbullying. In my classroom I would emphasize the fact that things said over the internet should be no different than things that they say to each other in real life when adults are listening. I would also discuss the consequences of cyberbullying and how they stick with you forever. Finally, the digital divide is one of the most complex issues with technology. Since not everyone has equal access to technology, I would try to limit homework assignments that require technology and instead focus on using technology in the classroom. For example, using laptops/iPads/etc. in the classroom to complete activities so students that don't have technology at home can have practice with it and won't be put at a disadvantage.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Comments
Post a Comment